Friday, August 31, 2012

Likes and Dislikes

Today we are going to have a little conversation about some things that happened yesterday in the land of Vickysburg.  (I tried out V-burg, but RJ immediately made a gross comment, so I don't think that nickname is going to stick).  Anyway, one of these happenings was GREAT, and one of them was NOT OK.  Get ready to be jealous, and then appalled.

***Note- this stuff actually happened on Wednesday, but yesterday I decided to post something about the hurricane instead of just prattling on about my life's random (and embarrassing) events.
  
GREAT: 

The DMV in Vicksburg is NOT your traditional, terrible, nightmarish DMV.  It is simply the "Tax Collectors Office" in the Vicksburg Courthouse.  I went there yesterday to change my car registration and last name.  I'm officially an Alexander now!  So exciting!  I would show you the new license but Vicksburg is a little behind the times, and I'm rocking the black and white paper copy at the moment.  ANYWAY, there was NO line, no "take a number and wait"... in fact there was no one in the room at all, except 4 nice ladies all ready and waiting to help.  I walked in and one of them immediately said, "Can I help you?"  I went to her station, handled my business, and was out the door within 7 minutes!!  No lie, less than 10 minutes to register my car, change my last name, and get a new license.  That is just unheard of!  Oh, and there was plenty of street parking right in front of the courthouse (seriously, RIGHT IN FRONT), and it was FREE.  Come to think of it, I haven't seen any metered parking in this "city" at all.  I know you are all very jealous right now, and you probably should be.  The next time you have to go to the DMV, I suggest coming to Vicksburg.  Even though that probably wouldn't help you, not being a resident and all, but still.  This proves that there are things worth moving to Mississippi for.


It's official- Team Mississippi.

NOT OK:

APPARENTLY, at Parkside Residences, maintenance workers can just help themselves to your apartment, without a care in the world.  And they don't even consider the fact that you might not be wearing pants.  Let me back up.  The other day I saw a sign posted near the mailboxes saying that the complex would be conducting "routine inspections" of apartments on Wednesday, August 28.  Being the airhead that I am, I didn't think much of it.  Big Mistake.  Yesterday I had just awoke, and was sitting on the couch watching a little Live with Kelly and drinking my coffee, when I heard a knock.  At first I thought, "Wow, UPS is early!" but then I realized "Shoot, it's probably that blasted home inspection thing".  Before I could even get up to put some pants on (who sleeps in pants?  I did have panties and a tank top on though, don't worry), I HEARD THE DOOR OPEN.  Those bastards just keyed themselves in!!!  Can you believe that?  "Hello?  Maintenance!" A guy called out.  Being practically naked, I immediately pulled a blanket over myself.  "Um, hi?" I answered.  "Just doing our routine inspections," he said.   Then he proceeded to wander around the house and poke his nose into each room, checking light switches and jotting things down on a notepad.  I was feeling SO uncomfortable and really awkward just lying there on the couch, so I wrapped the blanket around myself and stood up.  "Having any problems?" he asked.  YES, I thought.  YOU JUST LET YOURSELF INTO MY HOUSE WITH NO WARNING!!  THAT'S MY PROBLEM.  (Come on guys, how was I supposed to know that when they say "routine inspection" that means "I'll just let myself in whenever I please"?)  "No, no everything's great!" I chirped, hoping he would just GTFO.  Which he did.  The entire painful experience really only lasted about 120 seconds, but it was still SO awkward.  And he kept looking at me in a weird way... I think he knew I was pant-less and bra-less.  The WORST part is- I was so shaken about being walked in on almost naked, I completely forgot to whine about the decrepit dishwasher which is basically worthless, and the fact that RJ has to hammer the air-conditioning once a day to get it to start up after it shuts down.  UGH.  I really don't think this whole process is even legal, and plan to do some investigating into this little matter of HOME INVASION.  RJ laughed when I told him the story and said its in the lease (that I clearly didn't read) that they can do that.  But I am highly doubtful about the legitimacy of this nonsense.  Whatever happened to knocking, and then WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO ANSWER THE DOOR?  I have rights!  Don't you agree?

Except for when people let themselves into your house...


I can think of about 4 more "GREAT/NOT OK things" but this post is kind of "rambly" so I'll save them for a part II.  Spell-check tells me that rambly is not a word, but it should be so I'm using it anyway.  Later peeps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...